Friday, March 02, 2007

Motherhood, writing, completion

1. I received some hilariously true emails about motherhood today. I'm not sure why they all seemed to arrive today, but they did. One was particularly apt. It was a job description for a mother. One part I related to well was the suggestion that a mother needs to cope with being indispensable one minute and an embarrassment the next. I am learning that, as we speak. My daughter, bless her heart, is quite clingy and mummy oriented as long as her friends are nowhere in sight. However, if she is with a friend, I am relegated to a very lowly position. At first I took this personally and found it very upsetting. It's a new behaviour and hopefully just a phase. Now I realise it's more about her than me and I have learned some coping strategies. I fear my sisters and I probably treated our mother in a similar manner to some degree.
2. I have been taking a little time out of each day to do some reading. I know it's a good thing for me to do as a writer, but it's something I don't usually feel I can justify as a mother. However, I'm pushing that barrier open and reading anyway. The pieces I read today and yesterday were very enjoyable and reminded me of my own writing style. I felt a sense of "I could have written that" as I read each piece. It made me feel that anything is possible for me as a writer. That's a good thing.
3. I worked hard all day today on a piece I've been finalising for a publisher. I set myself the task of completing it and sending it to my agent by the end of this week and I achieved my goal. I feel very pleased to have done that and much less stressed.

No comments: