Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bilingualism, amazing race, honey chicken

1. I have been doing some research into bilingualism at the moment as part of my interest in the Maori language. It's very interesting and hard to describe in a short space like this. However, I'm finding it interesting, challenging and invigorating which are all good things to be feeling.
2. Tonight was the final of Amazing Race on our tv in NZ. To tell you the truth, I found the end a bit of an anti-climax. However, I still enjoyed the show and look forward to the next one. Go Phil! (The host is a New Zealander).
3. We had Honey Chicken for dinner tonight - a great favourite with the whole family which is very unusual in our house. In fact, almost unheard of! So dinner wasn't stressful because everyone was happy!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Hi there - did you make the honey chicken yourself (and if so, will you blog the recipe) or did you purchase it ready made???

I am ALWAYS looking for food that my whole family can eat - usually at least one kid turns its cute little nose up so i understand how rare it can be when everyone likes something.

Take care
Jen

Anonymous said...

i can vouch for word imps honey chicken. Its highly addictive.

LauraLee said...

Oh! Please! Do tell, do tell...Anxious mothers all over the world are waiting for the recipe to be revealed to make our families happy at dinner time!!

Word Imp said...

Okay, here's the Honey Chicken recipe. I can't take credit though. It's from a school fundraiser recipe from my nephew's school called Sunnyhills School in Auckland. You need skinless boneless chicken breasts (however many you can afford), tea bags, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
Make 2 cups of black tea. Remove the tea bags after a couple of minutes. Cut the breasts lengthwise into three strips each. Put the chicken in a heated frypan and pour the tea over top. Add 3 Tbsp honey, 3 Tbsp soy sauce, some crushed garlic and some crushed ginger. Turn down heat and simmer with lid on for about 20 mins, stirring now and then. Remove lid and turn up the heat so the liquid evaporates to a gooey sauce. My frypan is hopeless so that part takes ages. I take the chicken out so it doesn't overcook. I put it back into the sauce once the sauce has reduced considerably. Then just keep moving the chicken around so it doesn't stick once the sauce starts to turn sticky and gooey. Serve with rice. Everyone will love it!

LauraLee said...

WOW! That sounds so yummy! Lovely! Thank you for sharing!

Jen said...

Thank You for the recipe - have been away from the computer for a while and only just had a chance to come back and check your blog. Was SO excited to see this recipe!!! cant wait to try it.

jen
xoxo