Sunday, February 11, 2007

Growing up, ducks, old age

1. I took my son to our regional squash training morning. He did very well and I had cause to notice how soon he will change from a little boy to a young man. Boys there who were aged only 18 months older than my son were noticeably more muscly, had deeper voices and seemed to be a world away from their younger counterparts. It made me conscious of the miracle of life, of changes from childhood to adulthood and how so much is beyond my control. Obviously, a had a bit of time on my hands for thinking!
2. I took my daughter to the lake to visit the ducks. We enjoyed their antics, particularly one who landed badly on the grass and took a while to regain her composure. Another landed badly in the water and draw a raucous quackophony from the other ducks around. It sounded exactly as though they were laughing at her misfortune. I guess we'll never know.
3. We also visited a cafe for lunch. The two tables nearest us held me fascinated. At one, a young man of about 18 was incredibly attentive to an elderly couple who were possibly his grandparents. At the other table two middle aged women were fussing over a very elderly and frail woman who probably didn't really know where she was. She certainly wasn't able to answer their questions about what she would like from the menu. However, they all seemed to enjoy the outing. I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed the company of my 8 year old daughter as we reminded each other of our "most embarrassing moments".

No comments: