Monday, November 20, 2006

Little legs, baking, company

1. We had our interschool athletics in town today. It's always a great day for supporting the children and encouraging them to try things they're not necessarily good at. They do everything from long jump to shot put and from sprints to long distance. Neither are my children are gifted athletes. Both are average and enjoy the day to varying degrees. They try very hard at everything and have fun with their friends which is the main thing. I particularly love watching the youngest five and six year olds competing. Some have little legs that churn at a surprisingly rapid rate along the track. Others are happier to take a less hurried approach, turning to wait for a friend or stopping to tie laces in the middle of the track. But my favourite part of all is the relays. Our school did very well in the relays today. Cheering them on is very uplifting.
2. I did some baking today - partly for the upcoming school camp and partly for my husband who'll be at home with our daughter while I'm at camp with our son. I love baking. Today, among other things, I made a batch of custard squares. Mmmmm.
3. My lovely eight year old daughter had a couple of difficult moments today. One was caused by a missing hat in the morning and the other by a misunderstanding this evening. In the end, she came supermarket shopping with me tonight after telling me that she likes to keep me company in the supermarket so I don't get lonely. I kept my own feelings about the matter to myself and took it as a compliment. And indeed, we had a delightful time together deciding between choices of muesli bars and flavours of yoghurt, among other things.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Custard squares....lucky man. Have fun at camp.

Unknown said...

Dear Sharon - my brain works on wordimperfect and thats the only time it does ! Its great and I wish we could all club together and give you a big hurrah for bringing this into our daily routine ! Talking of children , I love what u wrote about yr 8 yr old daughter - I think the best times of my life are when I go out with my two girls - either singly or together !

Word Imp said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback. I'm so glad people are enjoying my blog. I am too! Glad we can make our brains work at least once a day!

Word Imp said...

To my tall, elegant, organised friend
I thought you would sniff out that mention of custard squares! Hope your oven is still hot!