Friday, May 11, 2007

Touring, hotel cleanliness, good news

1. I'm back! Actually I've been back for a day or two but it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. However, I've finally found time to update this blog. I was away on an author's tour from Sunday to Wednesday in Tauranga and Rotorua. I also went to another area called Otorohanga on Thursday. I had a great time talking to children about my work and taking joke writing workshops. It was pretty tiring though and, although I enjoyed the change of scenery, I was very happy to be home again. Now I'm looking forward to the awards ceremony in Wellington next Wednesday evening.
2. One of the hotels I stayed in while I was in Rotorua had some cleanliness issues. I wish I had spoken to someone straight away and got a different room but I didn't feel assertive enough for some reason. It will be interesting to see if I hear back from the manager about the complaints I've detailed on his survey form. If not, I'll keep trying to gain his attention.
3. I was thrilled to hear last night that David Bain has a chance for freedom. Most of you won't know of him. He's a young man who's been in prison here in NZ for about 12 years for supposedly shooting his whole family. A former All Black, Joe Karam, has written a book about his struggle to help David attain justice. I've read the book, called David and Goliath, and have always believed in David's innocence. Finally the Privy Council in England has said there seems to have been a miscarriage of justice and David may be out on Tuesday. It's a bit more complicated than that, but I'm very very happy for him.

No comments: