Tuesday, May 22, 2007

High school musical, Skipper, school visit

1. We went to our local high school musical tonight at the insistence of our children who went to a special viewing for local schools yesterday. It was "Back to the 80s and was great fun. It took me back to the days of my own high school musicals. I would have liked to have been one of the chosen few on stage but, in those years, I was less forthright. Instead, I was usually found in the orchestra pit on the end of a clarinet or saxophone - neither of which I could play today. It was good to see our local teens in a happier light than they sometimes portray themselves.
2. One of my book characters turned 5 today. It's exactly 5 years since the first Skipper readers turned up in my letterbox - my version of an anniversary. Happy Birthday, Skipper. He's a mischievous fun-loving border collie dog who helps lots of 5 and 6 year olds in New Zealand learn to read.
3. I visited a nearby school today to talk to the children about my books and writing. They were a bunch of exuberant 6 year olds and we all had a great time together. I love school visits! We worked on a new Skipper story together and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out in the end.

No comments: