Thursday, August 02, 2007

Power cut, writing prompt, squash

1. I came home from a teaching job to a strange power cut thingy today. Let me explain. The fridge light was dim. The computer started to make the right noises but it wouldn't come on properly. And the microwave was haunted. I went to warm up my lunch, opened the microwave door to find the glass plate inside spinning mysteriously by itself. I closed the door. It stopped. I opened it to check and it started spinning again. Some of the lights in the house worked. Some didn't. The electric kettle turned on but would only warm water, not heat it to boiling point. My cordless phone explained mysteriously that it was "out of range". I phoned my husband on the cell phone. He wasn't particularly sympathetic, just told me to calm down and turn everything off at the wall in case of a "surge". So, sadly, the afternoon was free from vacuuming, exercise videos, computer work etc. The power went off fully for about two hours. I'm not sure why. But the strange state of "half power" was spooky indeed.
2. I use a writing prompt when I work with writers in schools which always works. It reminds them of a time when they were afraid and they write about their experience. I worked with a classroom of students aged about 10-13 years old today and a couple of the boys who "hate writing" actually enjoyed the experience. I was thrilled. So was their teacher.
3. I used to write a lot on this blog about my son's squash tournaments but haven't done so for a while. He's reached a bit of a plateau at J3 - sometimes winning, sometimes not, but just hovering at that level which is fine by me. It's teaching him lots about the game etc. Tonight we were at a tournament about 45 minutes drive from our house. It was very difficult to find the squash club in question - in part due to their signage which clearly pointed with an arrow in completely the opposite direction to where the club turned out to be. Then, once we actually found the building, there was another trick. The entrance to the squash club was through the toilets and not marked at all. Very odd indeed. My son lost his game. I was glad to be out of the place.

No comments: