Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Busy, writing, speech finals

1. I've had a very busy week which has been made busier by needing to spend a lot more time reading through the invented meanings on my blog! The numbers are still high a week after gaining Blog of Note status and I feel very honoured. I must say a big thanks to all the very loyal word imps who have been with the game since its early beginnings late last year. I kept going through thick and thin because of all your encouragement and this week has certainly made it all worthwhile. Long may it last.
2. I am working on at least three writing deadlines this week. It's not easy because I have also had several workshops to run with gifted young writers - not to mention the daily motherly tasks I am supposed to be performing... I have been so busy that I have been forced to take the advice of my good friend Rhonda who advised that, when all else fails, live in a state of denial. No, the house doesn't look that bad. No, it's not impossible to finish that book by the end of the month. Of course you can be in three places at once on Friday afternoon!
3. I am a very proud mum tonight. We have just arrived home from the speech finals which our son was part of. His speech was about "annoying flies" and he won the trophy! He was in the eastern zone junior speech competition which consisted of about 7 or 8 other local schools who each sent one or two of their best speechmakers. The two speakers from our little country school did very well indeed. Well done to Abby who was a clear second. Our daughter didn't speak tonight, but she was in the top six at school with a very funny speech about her career options. Next year will be her big chance, with her brother gone to intermediate! So, I'm smiling.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Good luck with getting everything done Sharon and well done to your son. What an achievement. Many adults would be daunted by the idea of speaking in public.

Sonnjea said...

Congrats on the blog of note thing -- I'm so excited to be one your charter members! Keep up the good work.