Sunday, April 29, 2007

Feelings, sports, awards

1. Tonight I talked to the children (and myself) about the importance of expressing our feelings rather than going off in a huff. I think it helped. We shall see. I'll try to set a good example.
2. We had a busy sports day with our son on Saturday - with squash and soccer. He came runner up in his age group for the regional squash champs which was wonderful. His squash was some of the best I've seen him play. He really believed in himself and pictured himself doing really well. Great to see children grasping those concepts well. In this first soccer game of the season, he scored his team's only goal which made him very happy. The team lost 8-1 but the goal helped!
3. The NZ Post Book Awards announcements and awards ceremony in Wellington is drawing closer. I'm really excited, as you can imagine. My husband and I fly to Wellington for the awards on Wednesday 16 May and return the next afternoon. The week before that, I'm away from May 6-9 on an authors' tour in association with the awards. I visit Rotorua and Tauranga, speaking to school children about my work. I'm also looking forward to that very much.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I am always trying to talk to my boys about the importance of expressing their feelings in a positive way. Unfortunately, rather than just going off in a huff they choose to kick, punch, bite and pinch each other. My husband says that's just boys. But I can't believe that's normal. I was an only child so the whole sibling thing is a mystery to me. Hope your chat works. I'm sure our words get through to them eventually!