1. I just found out my joke book called "It's True...You can make your own jokes" which was published in April appeared on a children's book website in a list of the top non-fiction books for the month. Pretty cool. The site is www.achuka.co.uk/books/nf/main.php if anyone is interested in having a look.
2. I've just returned from a school disco with the kids. The DJ even played some songs I knew and I got to do quite a bit of boogying. However, my ears will probably be ringing for a while. The kids, eight and 10, had lots of fun. Daughter (8) dancing with friends. Son (10) wandering around the room with friends.
3. I put the trailer on the van and took it to get a WOF all by myself. I'm not that good with trailers, so this was something of a minor achievement - although I must admit the mechanic's garage is almost within shouting distance of our house!
Friday, October 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You're on Amazon! That is very cool and exciting. If you have some free time one day, I'd be very interested in how you got the publishing process started.
Rhonda
Hope you find this answer. Seven years ago we had a huge phoenix palm removed from our rurual property. (It was trucked north to Auckland) The process was interesting and I photographed it. My husband knew I had a dream to be a children's author so he suggested I write about it. I used the photos and wrote a diary type article about the process and sent that to Learning Media in Wellington. They publish heaps of educational material for schools in New Zealand and lots of writers get started there - some from the US too! It was accepted! I also got my next 3 things accepted! I got rejections after that, of course, but it grew my confidence. I kept sending stories away to Learning Media and developed a good relationship with an editor there. One day when my son was 5 he started making up bad knock knock jokes. I suddenly got the idea of writing a book about how to write jokes. So I did. It took 4 versions and 4 years to get published but it was published in April this year by Allen and Unwin. I got an agent through the joke book saga about four years ago and have had lots more opportunities since having her. I hear about all sorts of opportunities through the agent that you don't hear about unless you have an agent. My biggest coup this year was having a picture book manuscript accepted by Walker Books. That has been a big dream of mine but an illustrator still hasn't been assigned so not sure when that will be out. If I'm still blogging then, you'll be sure to hear about it! I'm also writing a book for the My Story series published by Scholastic which I'm supposed to be doing today. Ha ha! Well, tomorrow is okay too. So basically, in answer to your question, I write and I send things away to publishers and I was fortunate enuogh to get an agent which has helped enormously. I am very passionate, very committed, believe in myself and know I can do it. How about you?
I have nothing to report yet. I have always wanted to write a book, but before having a baby, I worked full-time...so I never attempted it. Now that I am mostly a mom, I hope to tackle it. I have a few ideas...one for a novel, one for a non-fiction book on motherhood and another for a children's book. I just don't know where or how to start. Guess I should just start writing!
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Post a Comment